Valkyries Horn Home Mead competition Volunteer Info
Judges and Stewards
If you have registered, log in and then choose Edit Account from the My Account menu indicated by the icon on the top menu.
Other Volunteer Info
Register on this site to stay up to date and get notifications.
PLEASE SIGN UP FOR JUDGING AND STEWARDING SESSIONS HERE AND ON THE COMMERCIAL COMPETITION WEBSITE FOR BOTH AMATEUR AND COMMERCIAL!!!
Volunteers that sign up for two consecutive sessions will be provided with the corresponding meal. Meals will be provided on:
- 9/9 from 12:00-1:00pm possibly with a presentation.
- 9/9 from 5:00-6pm along with a presentation.
- 9/9 8:00pm onward: Visit to the Mead Hall at White Bear Meadery. Bring your best for an open BOTTLE SHARE (DO NOT BRING ANYTHING YOU ENTERED!) and food. White Bear Meadery and Valks will also provide some mead on tap at the meadery.
- 9/10 from 11:30-12:30pm with a presentation.
- 9/10 from 5:30-6:30pm with an educational tasting of three traditional meads made with Orange Blossom honey from Florida, Mexico and California.
Judging: What to expect
- Judges are ENCOURAGED to bring a laptop or tablet for electronic scoresheets. This is not required, but it is preferred by the vast majority of judges and entrants (not to mention competition staff).
- All entries will be judged "blind".
- All judging will be in-person (not remote/virtual).
- Judges will be served entries with a label and pertinent entry information by stewards. There will be no bottles at the judging tables.
- We will split categories as needed to ensure mead flights are manageable by judges.
- BOS judging will be done by a panel with a minimum of 3 very experienced judges.
- Every entry will have at least one Mead Certified judge assigned.
- We will need stewards for in-person judging.
- Stewards will pour samples and deliver mead to the judging tables.
- WE NEED LOTS OF STEWARDS!!! DON'T BE SHY, SIGN UP PLEASE!
There are numerous hotels near the Northern Brewer Warehouse (along with a shopping mall and plenty of eateries). A very short drive or a modest walk will get you to:
DoubleTree by Hilton
2540 North Cleveland Ave.
Roseville, St. Paul
Booking information: 1 855 605 0318
We do not have a block reserved this year.
- Staff and volunteers that have access to the database are not permitted to enter the competition. The judge director is also prohibited from entering regardless of database access.
- All other Staff and Volunteers are permitted to enter the competition. We follow BJCP guidelines to ensure that our competition results maintain the highest integrity.